University Of West Scotland
Career-focused teaching. World-leading research. An international outlook. And a far-sighted approach to technology and innovation. For the ultimate student and business experience, look to UWS.UWS has been ranked by Times Higher Education as being in the top 3% of the world’s universities (source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 2018)UWS has also been ranked by Times Higher Education as being in the top 200 universities under 50 years old worldwide (source: Times Higher Education Young University Rankings, 2017). No. 4 in the UK for our education courses (source: Complete University Guide, 2018). No. 1 university in Scotland for student experience and teaching quality (source: Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide, 2017)
We’re an international university. We have deep roots in our local campus communities – but we are outward-looking too, in line with a long Scottish tradition of global travel and influence.
We aim to equip all our learners to play their part anywhere in the world. With that in mind, we offer students international experiences and language skills.
Over the next few years, we plan to expand our reach. We’re opening up our students, staff and curriculum to further global opportunities. By 2020 our campus culture will be truly international.
Read more about our work to extend our global reach.
UWS IN NUMBERS
- 94% of UWS graduates are in work or further study six months after graduating (source: Higher Education Statistics Agency 2015/16)
- £7m awarded to UWS research projects in 2016/17
A diverse demographic
- almost 17,000 students
- From Ireland to India, from the Seychelles to Singapore – our students are drawn from 1/3 of the globe
- 83% average student satisfaction rate (source: National Student Survey 2017)
- 91.4% students agreed “I have had the right opportunities to work with other students as part of my course” – highest rating in Scotland (source: National Student Survey 2017)
- 85% students agreed “my course has challenged me to achieve my best work” – 2nd highest rating in Scotland (source: National Student Survey 2017)
- 100% student satisfaction in civil engineering, engineering management, law & business, physics (source: National Student Survey 2017)
- Over 90% student satisfaction in childhood studies, chemical engineering, business technology, professional health studies, business, biomedical science, social work, sport coaching, aircraft engineering, sport & exercise science, primary education, accounting, mechanical engineering, sports journalism (source: National Student Survey 2017)
- 93% of postgraduate students would recommend UWS (source: PTES 2017)
- 90% of students are satisfied with their accommodation
- £100m+ investment in our new Lanarkshire Campus, including 250,000 sq ft of carbon-neutral buildings
- £537.8m – value of UWS to the Scottish economy (Source: Biggar Economics, Socio-economic Impact of UWS 2014)
- 5,197 Scottish jobs supported by UWS
- £443million – estimated value of the new Lanarkshire Campus to the local economy over 25 years
- 25% of our students come from Scotland’s most deprived communities (note: figures for 2015-16 of all Scottish-domiciled entrants)
- 25% of all students articulating from College to University in Scotland come to UWS (note: 1079 out of 3999 students in 2014-15)
- 300 participants from 14 schools in the UWS/Developing the Young Workforce (Ayrshire) course
Our corporate strategy includes firm targets to track our progress and these are grouped in three priority areas:
Student experience and academic quality
UWS is here to change lives.
Our goal is to equip every student to succeed in their chosen field, anywhere in the world. That demands outstanding and inspiring education.
Read more about our commitment to education excellence.
Research and enterprise
We’re building a vibrant research community at UWS. Our researchers and partners work to tackle some of the most critical issues facing society.
We will go on forging research partnerships. These drive our academic provision, create an enterprise culture and support economic growth. Our research excellence will earn increasing international recognition.
Read more about our commitment to research excellence.
Our purpose is to change lives, transform communities and encourage enterprise through outstanding, distinctive and progressive higher education.
Our focus is on personalised learning experiences supported by internationally recognised research.
UWS graduates will be work-ready and contribute locally and globally.
We will do this by:
- providing student-centred, personalised and distinctive learning and teaching experiences underpinned by professionally relevant research, knowledge exchange and enterprise
- fostering the resilience and learning skills of our students by providing a supportive, encouraging and inspirational learning environment
- developing a culture where our people are supported to be highly motivated, creative and collaborative
- making a difference to the communities we serve – in Scotland and across the globe
- taking managed intelligent risks to benefit our student experience and organisational performance
- being a proudly different university, where ambition and success are at the heart of what we do.
At UWS we live and work by a set of truths:
- We are here for our students
- Our teaching is our passion, and it reaches to the future
- We understand that a graduate career is important to our students
- We are a knowledge-rich organisation
- We believe in partnership with business (private, public and global)
- We are an international university
- We are an inclusive organisation that welcomes and values diversity
- UWS is a great place to work and study
- UWS is a university that dares to be different